2011年7月12日火曜日

You never know what can happen

So the most incredible thing happened to me over the weekend and it just goes to show you where you can go with an open mind and a little kindness.

I imagine everyone reading this is familiar with craigslist and a few have probably sold some things on there as well. Getting a buying to come through can be tough. Often times the buyer never shows up or is late when they said otherwise.

So I decided to buy a coffee pot off of craigslist because I am a hopeless coffee addict and instant coffee just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I found a cheap one from someone who was moving out of the country and arranged to pick it up on Sunday after church. Church is about 20 minutes by bicycle and the seller had to be somewhere by 6:40. This meant that I had to be at their station by 6:30 to pick up said coffee pot. Church ended at 5:20 which gave me 30 minutes to make it by bike to Shinkoiwa station (my station) and then another 30 minutes by train to Nishinippori station. I was aware the person had places to be and gave them a call once I'd made it to Shinkoiwa station after biking in the summer heat and being all sweaty. I figured, it was the courteous thing to do as the seller most likely didn't want to carry a coffee maker where ever it was they were going. So I rang in and said I was on time and should be there to get the coffee maker as planned.

Little did I know, this act of courtesy would inspire an idea in the seller's mind.

So I arrived on time, got my coffee pot and paid the ridiculously low asking price. Then, to my surprise, she invited me to go to her own going away party in Shibuya! I figured, "what the hell" and found myself across Tokyo in some strange high rise Austrian restaurant and meeting loads of people I otherwise wouldn't have known. I ended up having a great time, and dropping a small fortune on Austrian beer and some of the best chicken paprikas I've had in a long time. It was phenomenal! The view was stunning, all of Tokyo was laid out before me in its night time urban splendor. I couldn't have asked for a better experience of Tokyo in the short six weeks I've been here and I couldn't have asked to meet a nicer bunch of people.

I can't help but analyze it though, because that's the way I am. I know for a fact that every act of courtesy doesn't result in such wonderful experiences. But sometimes they do. Not that everyone should be courteous simply to reap the off chance benefit of it. Everyone should be courteous for the sake of being courteous. But there are times when it really gives back strongly.

Furthermore, keep an open mind. When someone makes a kind offer, take it. People are inherently good and when you experience that goodness, it's a gratifying and pleasing feeling. Strangers are just strange because you haven't met them yet, not because they're inherently wicked or full of bad intentions. Everyone's best friend was a stranger once.

And when in strange places, do as the strangers do.







0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿